Friday 9 September 2011

Raul Ruiz 25 July 1941 – 19 August 2011


So I'm a little late to this news, but it seems a genuinely talented artist died last month (not the strong guy from Police Academy), and yet the cast of Jersey Shore continue stealing oxygen!? God is such a fickle Freddy.

The artist in question was Raul Ruiz, an exiled Chilean director and polymath who made witty, dream-like films that threw narrative to the wind and leisurely investigated memory, identity, and how much a film audience could put up with. Apparently even the French New Wave thought he was too whimsically elliptical for their taste...

In all honesty, film buff that I am, I had never heard of him until I read about his death in Sight & Sound.

Check out their wonderful obituary here.

And David Bordwell's here.

To rectify this grievous lapse in my filmic knowledge, I have decided to watch Mysteries of Lisbon


It's not quite his last film, but according to Sight & Sound:


Mysteries nevertheless stands as a perfect closing testament – a stately meditation on fate, memory and the possibility that our lives may be bewitching labyrinths of fact and fabulation.


I like Alain Resnais, similarly known for his frustratingly oblique approach to narrative and endless meditations on the fallibility of memory, so I'm thinking Mysteries will be good.

It's four... hours long... but... I'm sure I'll like it...



No comments:

Post a Comment